Friday, February 18, 2005

on shopping in a grocery store...

I recently realized that I have a whole philosophy on shopping for groceries. I'm completely in 'the zone' when at the grocery store. I LOVE grocery shopping. I love looking at things, I love saving money with double coupons and in-store specials. I laugh this little evil laugh when I pick up toothpaste that's on sale in the store for a dollar, and I have a dollar-off coupon that they double. They PAY ME A DOLLAR to take the toothpaste home!!!

But...when I'm at the grocery store and in my zone, I have an assumption that people will leave me alone. The grocery store is sanctuary for me in which I can be all by myself, blissfully looking and buying and dreaming of what I'll create with food ingredients. People should not talk to me. I don't even LOOK at passersby at the grocery store. I really like to be in my own little world there. I like it and anticipate it so much that the grocery is one of the very few places I'll go on a random Saturday looking like crap. Who cares what I look like, I'm not going there to actually SEE anyone. I'll put on a hat and glasses with no make-up, and even dressed frumpy. Somehow this 'disguise' fakes me into thinking no one will recognize me if they do know me. My zone at the grocery is a sacred space that should not be infringed upon by outside people. I'll even use the self-checkout line so I don't have to interact with others.

One of my closest friends is the exact same way about the grocery store. It was a hilarious discovery when we started talking about it one day. Her husband doesn't understand it at all, but she and I are so on the same page. We were trying to figure it out the other day - is it an introvert thing? Is that why we are so protective of that space and experience? Hmm, interesting.

No comments: